Heavy Rain = High Water Table = Rising Damp!
Heavy rain over the past few days has led to a dramatic rise in the water table as the ground becomes more and more saturated. Groundwater is one of the primary contributors to rising damp, a structural issue that requires immediate remedial action to prevent further problems.
The Cycle of Rising Damp
- Moisture seeps into masonry through microscopic pores
- The moisture travels deeper into the masonry via capillary action
- As temperature rises, this moisture evaporates
- The evaporation process leaves behind a mixture of naturally-occurring nitrates and chlorides (known collectively as hygroscopic salts) on the wall surface
- The buildup of hygroscopic salts increases the ability of the masonry to absorb further moisture from the air
Every time this wet/dry cycle repeats, the level of moisture increases and rises up the wall to a typical height of one metre, leaving a tidemark that is visual evidence of a rising damp problem. Rising damp is most commonly found in structures where there is no damp proof course or where the 'd.p.c.' has been bridged. Though rising damp is the best-known form of damp, it is fortunately the least common.
The Twistfix Rising Damp Proof kit is a consistent bestseller and contains everything you need to quickly remedy a rising damp problem. The kit contains:
- DPC Injection Cream. A silicone based formula designed to form an effective damp proof course as it migrates swiftly through pores in damp masonry
- Plaster Additive. A chemical formulation for adding to new rendering mix, which restricts and inhibits salt movement during drying of the wall
- SDS Drill Bits
- Caulking Gun
- Injection Extension Tube
- Protective Safety Gloves
For more information about this product and how to use it effectively, check out the product page. Stamp out damp with Twistfix!